Touching Lives, Bringing Families Together
Many people think of the USO as simply a stage show in a battle zone.Closer to home, your local USO actually provides the support and services needed so desperately by so many families and military members. It truly is Help on the Home Front, provided by Greater Jacksonville Area USO. In short, we extend the warm and welcoming touch of home to the military and their loved ones. Our mission is an ambitious one. And we need your help.
The Warm, Welcoming Touch Of Home
Each year, the Greater Jacksonville Area USO touches the lives of more than 250,000-plus local active-duty military, including local and state wide Army and Air National Guardsmen and Reserves, and their immediate families.
From a single active duty service member residing in the barracks (BEQ) or on board a Navy ship, to the wife and children of a service member serving overseas in a distant continent, those we serve have one basic need in common — the caring, human touch of home – and, that’s what we provide. The need cannot be overstated for access to a place where they can receive help, community information, and wholesome recreation and entertainment. It is the least we can give to those who give so much to all of us.
It’s What We Do
The Greater Jacksonville Area USO provides more than $1 million annually of "in-kind" services through a wide variety of programs. Just a few of the many services we offer include:
- Host more than 180,000 visitors each year at our three facilities
- Distribute over 12,000 USO Care Packages to deploying service members each year
- Operating free Cyber Cafes (with Skype) to keep families in touch
- Twice a month "free meals"prepared and served at the Mayport USO to young service members & families struggling to make it to the next payday.
- Distribute over 12,500 long-distance calling cards annually to keep families in touch.
- Help with deployments and homecoming celebrations.
- Space for family support groups, spouse organizations, education and more.
- Host and help more than1,000 visitors monthly arriving and departing from Jacksonville International Airport.
- Free and discounted tickets to movies, sports events, theme parks and attractions.
- Host special family events and activities.